Sunday, March 13, 2011

my (22?!) favorite lipsticks + a ramble

I've just had one of the worst nights I've ever had.  Adele's 21 album is like the story of my life right now. About twenty minutes ago I was hysterically crying, convulsing, listening to "Set Fire to the Rain" and "Someone Like You" on repeat. I know it'll get better and my heart will mend with time, but for now I'm just feeling sorry for myself.

Anyways, I thought I'd try to distract myself (since there's no chance in hell I'll be able to get to sleep feeling like this) by doing this post, which I've been wanting to do for AGES - my favorite lipsticks! Ha, it feels so trivial tonight, but that's exactly what's so great about it. :) Lipstick is my favorite beauty product and I own WAY too many - it was quite a challenge even narrowing it down for this post! And after digging through them all, I realize I should do a post on awful lipsticks that don't suit me at all, too...

Hope you enjoy - and of course, if you'd like arm swatches or lip swatches, I'm always happy to oblige, just ask! :)

NUDES:

YSL Rouge Pur Couture #06 Rose Bergamasque (this is my 2nd tube, and I have another backup!)
YSL Rouge Pur Couture  #24 Blond Ingenu
YSL Rouge Pur #148 Tea Rose (discontinued - gutted! This is my 2nd tube and it's almost gone...)
Tom Ford Blush Nude

I wanted to include YSL Rouge Pur Couture #10 Beige Tribute here as well, but I couldn't find my tube ANYWHERE at the time (of course, I found it the next day.. typical). Also forgot to include YSL Rouge Volupte #1 Nude Beige and #2 Sensual Silk.  Can you guess what cosmetic brand is my go-to for lipsticks? ;)


MORE NUDES:

MAC Fleshpot (too nude to wear alone, but I like it as a base for brighter shades!)
MAC The Faerie Glen
Revlon Soft Nude
Boots Natural Collection: Apple Blossom

I'm always looking for great nude lipsticks - I can't get enough!  Basically, if it has "peachy pink, nude, pale" etc. in the description, I'm interested. Right now I'm eyeing Lime Crime's new Coquette lipstick and MAC's Playing Koi (which will be released with the Quite Cute collection in April).

PINKS:

YSL Rouge Pur Shine #93 Pink Lychee (this is almost a balm as it's very sheer and lightweight, and the lasting power sucks! The color is gorgeous, though, as is the packaging)
YSL Rouge Volupte #19 Frivolous Pink
MAC Viva Glam Gaga (probably my all-time fave - this is my 2nd tube)
Illamasqua Filth
Illamasqua Obey
Illamasqua Fable
Bobbi Brown Bikini Pink

I've also been loving Rouge D'Armani 508, but I don't know if it's a favorite yet! Another great one I forgot to include is Revlon Primrose - I'd call it a universally flattering lavender pink.  


CORALS:

Chanel Rouge Allure Genial
NYX India (this was tricky because it's not really a coral, pink, or nude - it's a mix of all three! I just stuck it in this group because it was so small otherwise!
MAC Jazzed (2nd tube - I wore this almost daily until YSL came out with the Rouge Pur Couture line...)
YSL Rouge Volupte #27 Rose Paris (this is a truly unique shade, a bright coral-y pink with a touch of red - in my top 10 of all time for sure, and great for summer!)

I thought of including MAC's Cut a Caper, but really Jazzed is quite similar and I wore it to DEATH, so I thought, why bother? Lancome's Chris & Tell is another great coral shade in my collection, but I hate the taste/scent of Lancome lipsticks so much I almost can't stand to wear it!

REDS:

MAC Ruby Woo (perfect for a retro red lip)
MAC Lady Danger (bright orange red - great on its own, but I really love it dabbed in the center of the lipswhen wearing Ruby Woo)
MAC Jungle Red (dark and dramatic)

I'm not a fan of berry shades. Go bold or go home! Actually, go bold or go nude. ;) (Hey, I'm talking about lipsticks, pervs!) I've always wanted MAC's Russian Red but have yet to try it, which is why that one's not on here, if you were wondering. :)  I did two posts about red lips a few months back, so if you missed those and are interested in reading, click here and/or here. :)

I hope you enjoyed reading this - it was really therapeutic for me to write it! I'm already feeling a bit better, less "woe is me" and more "I can get through this."

Remember ladies (and gents), don't ever let anyone make you feel like you aren't beautiful and fabulous. Because you are.

As always, thanks for reading. 

xoxo,
<3 Jess

By the way, I'm sorry I've been a bad blogger the past few weeks!  I've really missed you and hopefully I won't let us be apart so long ever again!

12 comments:

  1. Hey Jessie, sorry to hear the sad news :( I hope you feel better soon. You are so right though, what better way to console yourself than with lipsticks :D Great favourites!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww :( I really do hope you feel better soon. I don't like it when my twitter bff is sad. It makes me sad too :(

    Anyhoo...wowza! You really love your YSL lipsticks! I'd love to see NYX India on you. It looks like such a gorgeous color and even though I've realized those pale, peachy pink colors look terrible on me (too pale, I think?), they look freakin' amazing on you! Also, Ruby Woo looks gorge (is it the lipstick you're wearing in the photo at the top of your blog or is that Lady Danger?), but my lips are usually so dry that I can't pull off matte lipsticks. Oh well.

    P.S. I'm here if you need me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post!! A girl after my own heart. We share a lot of lipstick commonalities *fist bump* :P

    Hope you're well :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lipstick and I love you! Awesome collection by an awesome lady - I don't think I've ever seen another blogger rock a pale pink anywhere near as well as you!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I hope you're alright hun!!! I loved this post! There are so many lipsticks I need to try now so thank you!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first paragraph is no good, I hope things start to look up quickly!

    Love your selection of corals and pinks, I think I need to expand in that department.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. love nyx india lipstick and i agree, i often think, what colour is it and i just cant decide ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I've been seriously addicted to lipsticks recently x

    ReplyDelete
  9. great collection. i've been eyeing BB bikini pink for weeks! new follower xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha your tops are my fav too..................

    Follow my blog to be automatically entered in my giveaway ;)

    http://superficialsydney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, sweetie, so sorry you've had a crappy weekend. Love your blog, even though I have to disagree - I'm so pale already, I feel like the nude lipsticks make me look embalmed. And I DO like the berry colors, as you know! But I like the reds and corals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much ladies! I'm getting better as time passes...

    Tiffany, you got it, that's Ruby Woo in my header pic. :)

    Mom, I'll convince you yet of the wonder that is a nude lipstick (though I love you in brights and deep shades, too!). The trick is to find a shade that flatters your skintone (and doesn't match it!), and sometimes dabbing instead of swiping depending on the consistency. "Nude" doesn't necessarily mean pale, just natural looking. Maybe a darker nude would suit you - I'll be scouring the blogs for redheads with similar coloring to see what works for them. :)

    ReplyDelete